Monday, July 02, 2007

Poverty & Pups

The image “http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/06/30/us/30dogs.190.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

My granny sent me this story from the NYT about how human poverty often has ramifications for pet populations with an increase in abandonment and neglect.

Midnight dumping of unwanted dogs is common here on the southern tail of the Appalachian Mountains, where large numbers of poor people are attached to multiple pets but cannot afford to sterilize or vaccinate them, and where impoverished county governments do not maintain animal shelters, require licensing or enforce requirements for rabies shots.

The combination of pets and poverty, veterinary experts say, brings similar results to many rural areas: unhealthy conditions for oversized animal populations, desperate efforts by often-overwhelmed individuals to help and a lurking threat to human health.


It's a sad story but also not so sad because we can actually DO something about this sad story. It reminds us how important Gomer & Opie's 10K for shelter dogs is. Also, Cubby works pretty hard for the Legacy Boxer Rescue and right now they are transporting a whole bunch of boxers to northern states where they can be adopted.

I came from a poor, rural area myself so I really feel for the dogs in the story. I'm sure that's why my ma ape sent me the story, to remind my ma ape to spoil me!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Suki & Joey said...

I can understand why people living in poverty are not financially able to sterilize their dogs & cats, and it's very sad. If you barely have enough $ to eat, then how can you afford to feed and take care of your pet?

Sad all around.

Puggy kisses
Suki

8:30 AM  
Blogger Finnegan said...

Thank you for this posting! Mommy is always interested in animal welfare stories and related items.

Woofs,
Finny

8:32 AM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

Th mommy read this article this weekend and thought it was good. N.mom is going to read it tonight, but after what happened today, she is seriously wondering why people are allowed to have pets without licenses.

Wally, you are my news hound!

ernest

4:00 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Oh Wally, It's just too unbearable. I see so many people here, living on the streets with their dogs. Life is really difficult for them because they can't go to the shelters because of their pets, but their pets are all they have. I can't imagine having to give up Sophie if I ever became homeless and I know I would make the same choice that many of these people do. Then there are the people who are frivolous with their pets. It was moving day here in Montreal a couple of days ago, which always means hundreds and hundreds of abandoned animals for all the above reasons. It just breaks my heart.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Katherine and Pippa said...

There's no easy answer is there.

We see loads of it too.

Pippa

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home