Sunday, December 13, 2009

Taking Care of My Ticker

So I told you that Saturday I had to go to the vet. It was a surprise visit because I was feeling poorly. I did not sleep Friday night and I was clearly uncomfortable Saturday even though I am stoic and don't complain very much. My ape knew what it probably was. I have had cardiomyopathy for awhile now. That means my heart valves and heart muscles are not perfect (even though the rest of me is) and my heart has been working harder and getting progressively larger over time. Eventually it leads to congestive heart failure which is where I am now. You can read about the problem here. There were some telltale signs.

One was that I was uncomfortable at night which we now know is from having the fluid in my chest pool on one side making breathing more difficult. As you can see I was not my usual peppy self. I was coughing and wheezing a bit and couldn't get comfortable.

Also if you look at my eyes they look droopy but that is really just noticeable because my mucous membranes are so pale because my ticker is having a hard time pumping my blood.

And then you can see that I am looking a little skinny in the rear. That's because they starve me. And I have lost 4 pounds since my last vet visit. But when I lie down I get a tummy pooch because I have fluid in my belly.

So I had to go to the vet to help my discomfort. The vet took some picture of my insides (that are not as pretty as my outsides.) Here are my gorgeous outsides:

Here's an approximation of my not so pretty insides:


There is almost no dark space in my chest because it is all taken up by my GIANT heart and built-up fluid. I am already taking a drug called Pimobendan that helps my heart beat more efficiently. And I have to take a diuretic that will help me pee out that extra fluid (and boy have I been peeing my little heart out! Er, big heart.). And I am taking an ACE inhibitor called enalapril. And the best part is that all the pills come in SNACKS! Now I just need to stay calm, get moderate exercise, and get plenty of rest. And peeing. As Patience pointed out, when the snow comes I will be able to write my name! And I am getting extra snacks and when I want a bed the peppy sheppys have to MOVE IT and I get to sleep in the people bed with my ma ape. Unfortunately my heart will not get better but I hope the new meds will make me more comfortable and I plan to MILK IT for all it is worth!


So I'm just going to live it up! And I am accepting all incoming smooches!

Labels: , , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Ruby and Penny said...

Hi Wally
We would milk it too. Get well soon.
Smooches.
Love Ruby & Penny

7:03 PM  
Blogger Jake of Florida said...

Lots of wirey love while you're milking it, Wally!!! Take it easy pal, you mean a lot to us all!!!

Jake and Just Harry

7:18 PM  
Blogger Dexter said...

Dude! I thought your sickies were just a ploy to get some good drugs for the holidays. I am worried to hear that your heart is too big and you need to take pee alot pills. I know that you will get extra special loving now for sure.

Slobbers,
Mango

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I lost the love of my life to congestive heart failure so I feel for you and your ape Wally.

Just relax and don't get over excited!

But we always knew you, like she, had a heart too big for this world.

xxx

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Oh man Wally, That sexy outside picture nearly bowled me over. I so sorry your extra big heart is causing you problems. I have weird pics of my insides too, but they aren't nearly as interesting as yours. You are the bomb dude! I hope you sleep better now so you can have uninterrupted dreams about me.

xo
SB

7:35 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Oh dear Wally, I am glad that your ape is taking such good care of you because it sounds like you need it. Please keep your ticker safe as long as possible. I know your ape needs you and so do your blogger buddies.
hugs!
Moose + Dana

7:36 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Make sure the ma ape doesn't get flaky and forget to give you your meds in treats.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

Wally..we are sending as many Teka Terrier vibes as possible .. they will help you lots, because the meanness will drive out that extra fluid. And I am sending wirey kisses...and muzzer sends many hugs.

Try to last a long long time, there is another election coming up and we will all need you.

gussie

8:54 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

Aww Wally...I am just sending you so many good vibes & healing thoughts that my brain is practically oozing from my ears...

I am thinking of you & praying that you get better...

I love you more than you know!

Love & Licks,
Randi

8:55 PM  
Blogger Lorenza said...

Wally!
I really hope those meds help you to feel better!
I have my paws crossed for you!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

9:41 PM  
Blogger Nancy at the Farm said...

Wow! It is true - you have the biggest heart on the Web! Neat pictures Wally. Where do we send your treats? Mum says you need some Pill Pockets from Oregon so she is going to send some your way because she has your address for the DWB Christmas card exchange. I think they are the same as you have in your state but just pretend they are special for Mum's sake.

Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

9:45 PM  
Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Maybe I should lend woo my mistletoe pikh?

That will get woo LOTS of smoochies!

I'm sure woo will make the most of this opportunity!

Please listen to what your ma ape says!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

11:43 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

Hi again Wally - I hope you don't mind but I stole my favoritest piccy of you from your bloggy & put it on my bloggy...

& RANDAY is dedicated to YOU!

Love & Licks,
Randi

11:49 PM  
Blogger Sally Ann and Andy said...

Wally,
I hope you are feeling better. Fight Fight win.
Sally Ann

12:20 AM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

We know all about heart problems because of our dad, Wally.
We hope the meds keep you comfy for a long, long time!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

4:47 AM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

We know you have the biggest heart in the world but we hope those meds work buddy.

1:00 PM  
Blogger The Brat Pack said...

We hate heart problems, our ma ape is all worried about you and wishes we lived closer. I agree, that way I could rub your heart.

Sam

3:37 PM  
Blogger Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Hoping all good things for you Wally.

You certainly have the biggest heart, we love you so much, even though we probably will never sniff each other, we feel an affinity with you.

hey, my J says to tell you, live for today! That is the best way!

We have a Christmas "Nodding Dog", he is called Wally in honour of your handsomeness, we have had him as a Christmas Guest now for about five or six years.

He is so much like you, I will try to get a photo of him to show you.

We love our Wally here, and we love you!

Take care of that giant heart my friend.

xxxxx Marvin xxxxx

oh and Jeannie xxxxxx

3:40 PM  
Blogger Lola Smiles said...

XOXOXOXXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOOXOXXOOOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOOXO

all those kissies are for you WallyWoo! Love u dude!
Live for today is right. Rest and take it easy!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Sancha said...

Your enlarged heart is clearly an allegorical illness. I hope that my recent tapeworm was not.

I hope you recover as fully and quickly from your ailment as I did from mine--although as I'm sure you've figured out, it's a good idea to keep the humans thinking you're still in recovery.

6:21 PM  
Blogger MurphyDog said...

oh gosh Wally, Mom was quite shocked to see how very big your heart is. I told her its prolly cuz of all the love you have stored up in it.

Anywags, both Mom and I are sending healing vibes your way!

wags, wiggles & slobbers
Murphydog

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wally,

Sending healing vibes and beaucoup smooches your way.

Love,

Miss Kitty

8:49 PM  
Blogger Sunny,Scooter, (sometimes Jamie) said...

Dearest Wally T. First both the boys send you some bromantical kisses(Since Scooter had his dental work done, his breath won't knock you over...)
I, most gorgeous Sunny send you a most senuous b*tch kiss(well, that is what a girl dog is called for pete sake) I will take it easy so your big heart doesn't go into overdrive!
Our Mom knows all about this deal. She told your ma ape she thinks, that she had a doberman with cardiomyopathy. He was like one of those fainting goats for awhile. She says do you faint sometimes? Anyway, we hope that drug stuff works really good for you. *what? okok mom* ahem, she says to tell your ma ape she is pleased with the regiman your dogtur has you on. *feel better now mom?*
As I was sayin, like we told you before, you were one of the first dog bloggys we read when mom was reading before she ever joined the insanity-er blogging world. And though she now has a few to catch up on, she has read each and every one of your posts.
All this to say we love you wally tamale. Tell your ma ape that Pilgrim(the Doberman mom had) ate whatever he wanted-she cooked him special meatloafs, meals like for the family, before he went to the bridge he had tried everything she could think of at least once.
pause..........WHAT???????Mom really??????? So we are chopped liver??? (that would be good, will you get right on that please)
Mom would appreciate it if you would send her y'alls address so we can send Wally T, the one and only corigador something.
Mom sends hugs and kisses to you too.
((((((((((BIG HUGS,actually Texas size hugs. REEEEEELY BIG))))))))))
Sunny, Scooter & Shamus and Jamie

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jen and Suki said...

Wally! I am always a reader but not a very good commenter anymore, I am afraid. But I wanted to tell you that I hope you feel better soon. My mom knows all about congestive heart failure as that's what my puggy predecessor had back in the day. Your big heart is filled with lots of big Wally love, that's all. Enjoy your treatables and milk it for all it's worth, buddy!

<3 Suki Sumo

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home