Friday, February 27, 2009

Solving Problems, One Dog at a Time

My Onkel Eric sent me this article today from the Chi-Town Sun-Times titled "Black Dog Syndrome: Harder to Find Homes for Darker Pups":

Thomas the Tank's supple and shiny black Labrador coat is his most stunning feature.

It's also his greatest curse.

The 5-year-old bundle of sweet canine joy unwittingly suffers from "black dog syndrome," a term describing how large, black dogs often linger the longest on the adoption block at animal shelters. While scientific evidence of this malady is scarce, the phenomenon is real and also applies to black cats, those working in shelters say.


My onkel Eric noted that my ma ape, the social worker, has been doing her part to end this scourge. And so I give you--Black Dog Palooza! And as I was looking at these pictures I noticed the Amazing Growing/Shrinking Dog Syndrome that I have. I look dramatically different sizes in different pictures. Witness:

I fare well horizontally.

But vertically I'm small. Even when I'm in the front.

Ah, this looks about right.

Maybe that's why people are afraid of us? SHAPE SHIFTING SUPERHOUNDS!

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Hmmmm....then explain why there were more blakhk khanines than usual in the final seven at NotMANGOMinster?

Happy Weekend!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

8:08 PM  
Blogger Beckett said...

My mom was actually planning to adopt a black Lab, but I adopted her first.

Beckett

9:17 PM  
Blogger Princess, Tank and Isaac: The Newfs of Hazard said...

The horizontal format is best because that's how you nap!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Moco said...

This is true. Grammie is always sponsoring big black dogs at the Humane Society. Of course, I am black. Foley has black on him and Dawson is just a dingle doof.
Shape shifting, yes this could be an answer to the age old question. What was the question?

12:43 AM  
Blogger Dexter said...

Yuh, my black face scares the peoples sometimes (oh yeah, and the giant body attached doesn't help). You are a regular shape shifter.

Slobbers,
Mango

6:07 AM  
Blogger Gus said...

Wally...many of us out here realize that you shift shapes so that you are less threatening. Muzzer says that is because big brains in big packages can be REALLY intmidating. Not that she has personal experience, of course.

gussie

8:48 AM  
Blogger Tee said...

Wat manner of Doggie are you Wally? You have such unique looks!

I read about the black dog syndrome - in my part of the woods, we have more black canines than white!

Licks and Wags, Tuffy of Dog WOods

11:01 AM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

WTF dog racism?! This country is a mess.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Mr. Puggle® said...

well i think all ya'll are adorable! mr. puggle

4:22 PM  
Blogger BenTheRotti said...

Black Dog Syndrome is alive and well in this country too. There is a far higher percentage of large black dogs that are difficult to rehome. far far too many of my breed, we may be black, we may be large, we may have a reputation as the dogs of satan.. but sheesh... the majority of us are just like me.. pansy assed mama's boys who love cuddles.

Black is beautiful... as is golden, grey, brown, tan, and every other colour!

and as for you wally.. well horizontally, vertically stood up, laid down, you are the benchmark we all aspire to! Ya know we all just love the Wally.. right?

Ben xxxxx

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jen and Suki said...

There is a woman in the neighborhood who refers to Mojo as the black pitbull and won't let her grandkids play with him. Wrong on so many levels. Sigh.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home