Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Musings.

My granny sent me this story to point out that I don't need a job--I already have one! I am a muse to a great female artist! Or, at least, to my ma ape who is, ahem, um, a female. The story reviews a new book:

"Shaggy Muses: The Dogs Who Inspired Virginia Woolf, Emily Dickinson, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Edith Wharton and Emily Bronte" (Ballantine Books, 281 pages $24.95), by Maureen Adams: Countless lovers who, lacking their own voice, relied on Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous "Sonnets From the Portuguese" to woo their beloved should mutter silent thanks to a cocker spaniel named Flush.

Without the plucky pup's timely intervention, one of England's greatest poets might have succumbed to depression and never penned the immortal line, "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

Flush's contribution to Victorian literature is one of five short biographies in "Shaggy Muses," which details the profound and often unexplored influence a handful of canine companions had on five of the greatest voices in women's literature.

Here I am hard at work, being inspiring:




Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Awe! You are certainly "Awe Inspiring" there in those pics Wally!

I am totally over awed......think I quite like this word "Awe" I should use it more often perhaps....

oooooh thank you so much too for your poem you wrote me on my Blog, so much talent, so much awesome, pawsome talent Wally, you handsome beast you!

What a fascinating book too.

love and awesome licks, Marvin xxxxx

7:58 AM  
Blogger Ferndoggle said...

I love that top picture where your toof is stuck in your jowls. I love my jowls.

Lola

8:18 AM  
Blogger Gus said...

Yes, Wally. Very Inspiring. Now, can we talk about what you might inspire?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tadpole said...

Wow... just think of what Browning would have written if YOU would have been there to inspire her...!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Ruby Bleu said...

You are TOTALLY an inspiration to your Ma Ape...think how utterly boring she would be without you!!! Just kidding Ma Ape!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

11:11 AM  
Blogger Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

It must be hard work being such an inspiration. I think more treats are in order. J x

11:24 AM  
Blogger Moco said...

You are very inspiring! I think your Granny likes you a lot to send you all those stories.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

Wally -

Not only do you inspire your ape MA - you inspire mine - if you hadn't listed me as Dory the Labradory - LabraDory TV would have never been born!!

Nice post and handsome pictures!

Dory

(Liza: Thanks for the comments on Mollie - She is very funny doggie and a good sport when we call her the "round dog".)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Balboa said...

Maybe you can go to hollywood and inspire even more people or how about the government, hmmmm!

Frenchie Snorts
Balboa

5:16 PM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

When is your apes book coming out?

Can my nmom come visit you in September?

She's in Philly.

nm

6:18 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

We think you are very inspiring.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

hmm you inspire me all the time, and I don't even get to live with you!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Emily and Ike said...

Dude, you are wicked inspiring.
Ike

10:18 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

When you say you are "inspiring"... you mean breathing in... right?

1:04 AM  
Blogger Katherine and Pippa said...

Not only are you inspiring to Ma Ape, I find you inspiring too.

You inspire me to sleep more and eat more. I know I'm not the only idle dog with a voracious appetite.

That has to be good.

Pippa

1:15 AM  
Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Oh very inspiring Wally...

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

1:23 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Were you having some dry-mouth in that first photo, Walls? I too love that your lip got caught up on your toof.

My guess is that you may never know just how many dogs and peeps you have already inspired. The ma ape should up the meatable intake for you... NOW.

Is your ma ape a writer, an artist...? I got the feeling she might be a professor or a professional graduate student. Just how ARE you inspiring her? (I'm asking cuz my girl could use some inspiration [or a kick in the ass] so she can finish her thesis. Any suggestions you may offer would be appreciated).

Goober love & awe,
Stanley

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home