Friday, July 20, 2007

Boooooks!

Maggie tagged me like a MILLION years ago to tell you about my five favorite books. I've been so slow because I am a bookish lad and I needed to think long and hard about what bookables I love to read. So I've made a list and to show my commitment to language I've decided to throw aside mathematical conventions of counting and will list some of my favoritest books. Not five. SOME. And if it bores you just scroll down 'til you get to the pictures of me as cow.

Here are some of my favorites:


Pets in America: A History

This book is what it says it is! It is a HISTORY of PETS in AMERICA. It is awesome and talks about things like the evolution of dog food and our changing relationship with the naked apes and how that relates to historical trends. A little too focused on naked apes and talks about pets other than dogs (ewwww-goddamn cats!)

The Companion Species Manifesto: Dogs, People, and Significant Otherness

This book is by a feminist theorist and biologist named Donna Haraway who is so famous she gets to write books about hanging out with her dogs and reading listservs about dogs. That's what my ma ape does all day (or wants to) and she doesn't even get paid for it! She wants to get in on this gig. And also I like how it talks how apes form their selves through their relationships with US, the dogables. She has also written a book called Primate Visions that my ma ape is fond of. Because she's narcissistic and likes books about apes because she is one. Yeesh. Now back to dogs.

The Philosopher's Dog: Friendships with Animals

Ok, I'll admit I was a bit disappointed in this. I AM a philosopher's dog and so I thought this book was about me or, failing that, that looks like my pal BUSTER on the cover and that's got to be an awesome book, right? It's ok as light reading.

Dumb Beasts and Dead Philosophers: Humanity and the Humane in Ancient Philosophy and Literature

I admit I haven't read this book but I found it when I was looking for Donna Haraway on Amazon.com. I was curious because I thought philosophers WERE the dumb beasts (haha ma ape!).

Human, All Too Human (I): A Book for Free Spirits, Volume 3 (The Complete Works of Friedrich Nietzsch)

This is Human, All too Human. by Friedrich Nietzsche. I like him because I am the ueberhund! And the title suggests being human stinks. Which it does!

Zoontologies: The Question of the Animal

This is a book called Zoontologies. That's a made up wordable! Awesome! I like the cover. And the editor's name is Cary Wolfe. Wolves are relatives of us.

Now, lest you think I am a non-fiction nerd I thought I'd share some of the fictionables that I like to read.



Ooooh. This novel has DOGS in it. Um, they don't always have a happy ending but it's still pretty awesome. It won the Booker Prize which is not nearly as prestigious as being a Wally Winner which this really is. It has some great things about ethics and animalables.

And now some less deep choices for light reading.

Titus Rules!

This book is about the Queen's corgis and how they are so awesome and the royal family (especially Charles) is kind of lame.

A Bear Called Paddington

Paddington is a very smart little bear (from Darkest Peru) who is chub, loveable, and an eater of marmalade. He's a bit of a role model for me. My ma ape was a big Paddington Bear fan as a wee lass. She even had a Paddington costume that my granny made for her. Whoa. Sadly, she does not wear it anymore.

Curious George Goes to the Hospital

And Curious George! I picked this one because it's the one where he eats the puzzle piece and sometimes I have to see the doctor when I eat things I'm not supposed to (like bottles of Rimadyl). And then George huffs a bunch of ether--awesome! All I got was charcoal. And sometimes my ma ape says when I get into stuff around the house: "Wally was a good little dog. There was only one problem. He was tooooooooooooo curious."

Those are my bookables! I need to find some dogs to tag now!

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Wog! You sure read a lot of boooks... I don't read, I just look at the pictures. Hehehe!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

8:08 AM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

n.mom goes to the library and tries to find books that soothe me.

I'm too impatient yet to be read to.

she's bummed.

ernest

9:05 AM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

I just knew you'd come up with all winners! You're one smart boy Wally!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

10:48 AM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Those are some interesting books. My mom says to tell you she loved loved loved paddington when she was little too.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

That is a LOT of books! I wonder if the Doofus can read? I might need to investigate that!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Princess, Tank and Isaac: The Newfs of Hazard said...

Thanks for tagging us, Wally! We've got our books up!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home