Monday, December 08, 2008

WILD AT HEART!

It was a very exciting weekend and I have many things to tell you about including:

1) An Ape Burpday!
2) A Pawliday Party and subsequent abandonment
3) A Cold Day at the Dog Park for Oscar Bean, Stinky Teen
4) BIG SALE at the pet store

But first I wanted to give an update on my ticker. As some of you may remember, I collapsed last Thursday and my ticker was RACING. Here is a re-creation:

And here is what my ma ape looked like:

I maxed and relaxed all weekend and spent time watching the Britney Spears Documentary/Hour Long Ad "For the Record" and I could totally relate because I think my stress is caused by the Pooperazzi always chasing me, trying to catch me with greens in my teeths:

Today it was time for my triumphant return to the vet's office where I am always plied with snacks and attention.

They did a chest x-ray and confirmed that I have dilated cardiomyopathy. This will come as a surprise to no one but I have a BIG HEART.


This is not my actual heart but it gives you the idea, though because I am long my heart has actually shifted position and is lying on its side! The vet said that my valves are leaky which makes my heart work really hard so it has gotten BIG and MUSCULAR. and totally STUDLY. So all this time my ma ape has been in the basement lifting those hunks of metal I've been pumping iron WITH MY TICKER. The GOOD news, though is that I don't have any fluid in my chest or lungs so I'm still in pretty good shape. I'm going to start a drug called Pimobendan (which is very fun to say) for the ole ticker. It should help manage the symptoms and keep my muscular heart under control. I may have to love everyone just a little bit less to keep my heart from getting TOO big! I'm starting with loving Oscar less (though my ma ape says maybe I should take a break from lovin' ON Oscar so much. If you know what I mean.)

I owe big thanks to Charlie and Brooke because they gave me some advice and support over at The Bone Zone.

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Randi said...

Oh Wally..I'm so glad to hear that the vet is taking good care of you..

First off..what the heck was your ma-ape doing in the field all naked & wet when you collapsed?

Secondly, yes...you need to stop LOVING ON Oscar BS Teen so much...& come on over to my house..BIG BOY!

Thirdly...HI ETHELLLLL!!!!!!

Love & Licks,
Randi

9:22 PM  
Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I guess this means the next time Joe needs a surrogate/standUp BF for Sophie, woo aren't pawmitted on the list?

Woo know it is much better woo have a big heart than no heart at all!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

9:48 PM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

Wally, you can continue by loving Sophie less, I'm just sayin...

I am very glad to hear that you are doing better buddy, I don't know what I'd do without some Wally in my life.

OH and you can love Tanner less too if you want, that is fine with me.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Moco said...

Good news on the ticker front. Take your meds and leave Oscar alone. We are glad that you have a wonderful vet that is able to take such good care of you.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Simba and Jazzi said...

Sounds like you are been well looked after.

Simba x

4:14 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Woober Boy!

Well, DUH! We all could have told your vet that your heart is the MOST STUDLY of all hearts without them doing any X-rated things to find out what's up.

You definitely could stand to take a break from OB (that's short for Oscar Bean, not the tampon). It's okay to love your brother... just not L-O-V-E (smarmy voice) your brother!

I too was wondering if you ma ape had changed her hair color, and why she was going totally commando when she was outside with you (the photo confirms it)!

Love to the birthday ape!

Goober love & smooches,
Stanley

4:37 AM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

We know how big your heart is... Take the very best care of it. And happy birthday to your ape!

wags from the whippets

9:08 AM  
Blogger Gus said...

1. happy birthday to (?) ape. Muzzer is no longer celebrating them.

2. You must get your big strong heart from your Ma ape? She does good things for lots of doggies.

3. We were very frustrated because we lost our bookmark for the blog someone set up for dogs with heart differences. We're glad Opy, Charlie et al got the word out.

gussie

9:37 AM  
Blogger Nancy at the Farm said...

You got the biggest tongue we ever saw - almost a big as your heart!

Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

10:56 AM  
Blogger Ruby Bleu said...

At least you know what's going on now. Even if you can't love us so much anymore can we still love you...that will help you, right?

Still thinking very good thoughts!!!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

11:11 AM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Wally, I don't think I can stand it if you love me less. Maybe you can love me more quietly or something instead. What is it with all you big-hearted boys on the DWB? Did you learn nothing from 70s movies? Tough and macho, dude.

On the other hand, I am very happy you figured out your healthies. Hope those drugs are good.

xo
SB

P.S. We want details of the ape's burpday? Was there food?

11:38 AM  
Blogger the Corgi Girls said...

What if we love you MORE? I think that would help... we're going to try...


;o)
M & I

12:55 PM  
Blogger Sunny,Scooter, (sometimes Jamie) said...

Yo Wally. First, take care of that big heart. Personally, I do not know what you see in that Oscar anyhow!!
Happy B'day to some human ape?!?!
And Mom says to tell you she had a Doberman with the same thing you have some years ago. He was like the fainting goats or something she says. If your ma ape wants to know anything about her experience, mom says our email is
the texas sun dog at g mail dot com.
Take care of yourself an tell your ma ape to COVER UP!! She'll catch her death up there!!!
Hugs(very sedate and non-er-well you know)
Sunny

2:21 PM  
Blogger Lola Smiles said...

Wally baby: I always knew you had a BIG heart. I scared my own ape once from heat exhaustion...love to get all her crazy like that! ;0

We watched Britney too on the weekend...geesh...lol!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Lola Smiles said...

oh, and I'm glad you're OK!
xox

8:50 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Wally, you have to do whatever it is you have to do to take care of yourself. It's good that they know now that you have a big heart (duh), so maybe your Ma Ape will stop with all the hussy-ness at the SPCA. That can't be good for you.

Brown dog kisses,
Dannan

9:07 PM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Go easy on that heart of yours, Wally! It's the only one we get! We're so glad Opy and Charlie gave you some good info!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

5:45 AM  
Blogger Dexter said...

You have a big heart and are a fit and muscular dude? Hey, you don't need to go to vet school to figure that out.

Glad your ma ape can rest easy now.

Slobbers,
Mango

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home