Friday, April 27, 2007

Killer food & the politics of pets

I found this great article in Maclean's about the pet food recalls. It discusses how it is the cumulative effect of market practices and the deregulation of food production in Canada and the U.S. led to this particular crisis. There's some interesting stuff about the growth of Menu Foods as a conglomerate and how it came to produce most of the wet food in North America. And they suggest one solution is to guarantee a financial loss when the health and safety of pets is compromised by consider animals, legally, to be more than just property. Yes, please.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Suki & Joey said...

Hey Wally, I'm so tired of these darned recalls, how bout you? I had chicken with broccoli and brown rice for dinner, but I think my mommy is starting to get tired of cooking for me and Twix. She says it's expensive.

I wonder if there's any food out there that is safe...hmm...I don't think we can trust anyone!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Boomer and his mom Carol said...

Hell yah - we are worth much more than "property". I myself am worth a cheeseburger right about now. Mom, can we go for a car ride?!!!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Emily and Ike said...

Stupid recalls - my mom works at a vet clinic and they are making her life miserable too because if any dog so much as has a fart stuck sideways, their mom is calling in a panic. Grrr - makes her grumpy, and if she's grumpy, I'm grumpy!
About the Prozac - my cousin dog Ruby has been on it for years for anger management and it totally helps her.
Ike

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home