Monday, March 12, 2007

Take your dog to work!


The usually worthless business section of the NYT has a story about dogs at WORK and how much joy we can bring to the workplace.

In most places, though, the job is not so specifically defined. At Urbanspacedevelopment, a real estate design company in Philadelphia, it is the responsibility of the three resident pugs, Leo, Max and Lola, to “welcome clients and visitors, sit in on meetings (Leo in particular), rove around and give people needed breaks and otherwise play or sleep in the background,” Sam Shaaban, the company’s president, said in an e-mail. “They lighten the mood and offer themselves to stressed clients for caressing.”

In fact, they do that work so well that when the company redesigned its office space recently, “we made sure to include comfortable yet chic dog beds,” Mr. Shaaban said.

I've gone to work with mum and her work is BO-RING! Plus her heater breaks and floods all the time so her office is stinky. And there's no couch and she doesn't keep bones in her drawers. I'd rather she didn't go to work at all (not that I'm convinced she does work while at work, case in point this blog) but if she has to at least they should design a comfortable Wally-environment with plenty of napping couches, tasty snacks, and ABBA piped in for my aural enjoyment.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gus said...

Wally: I LOVE going to work with muzzer. I have my own place behind the counter with a furry bed. I am in charge of greeting customers and store security. Barb H., who works with muzzer, is always willing to get me a treat from the cabinet. My special people stop by to say hello and bring their favorite dog treats for me to sample. I nap a lot. Like all jobs, it has evolved over time. Perhaps you should give it another try.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Clearly your mum must rustle up some funding for an office upgrade. There must be some grant out there. I mean, really. Is there anything more important to an intellectual life than a beastly being who stimulates thought and new, fancy ideas? Especially those ones about food and walks.

2:13 PM  
Blogger wally said...

Gus--excellent work. Sounds like a nice job with good benefits.

Sophie--I AM intellectually stimulating. Her office, however, is not. For either of us. The problem is that I can be wary of strangers and my mum says that me biting students probably wouldn't help her tenure file. Whatever.

wally.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home