Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dogs On Trains!


The Financial Times has an AWESOME story about the dogs who live--and travel on--the Moscow Metro. Some just live in the stations while others actually take the train and travel to different stations, often on a regular schedule. A Russian biologist is studying how, in the last 30 years, the dogs have begun to develop their own unique doggie culture, noting that as dogs grow more wild they still lack aggression while remaining socialized to humans, uninterested in affection but willing to coexist and understanding how to use humans for food (ie, using their big brown eyes.) And, as it turns out, our pack has something in common with the Russian dogs!

A pack of dogs, however, can hold a dominant position over other packs and their leader will often “patrol” the other packs by moving in and out of them. His observations have led Poyarkov to conclude that this leader is not necessarily the strongest or most dominant dog, but the most intelligent – and is acknowledged as such. The pack depends on him for its survival.

I am most impressed with these dogs, who now have their own site, Metrodog, where people post pictures and videos of the dogs they come across. I have decided that I need to get out and see the world myself so I am going to learn to ride the train. I plan to enlist the help of my local stray/ train enthusiast and ride the rails:

But before I start my life as a rambling dog, I think I'm due for a nap. The world can wait.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Randi said...

Aww Wally-Woo....You are so the PACK LEADER of your pack...Your intelligence know no bounds...& your tummy has no bottom!

You are so cute laying there taking a nap...

Love & Licks,
Randi

10:37 AM  
Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Are woo heading to a lokhal AMTRAK station?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: My word is PACKY

10:37 AM  
Blogger Kari in Alaska said...

a nap before taking on the world is a good plan

1:27 PM  
Blogger Sancha said...

This is so unfair! Ruskies have freedom of movement and expression and American dogs have to get stuffed in a bag to go on the train? Nyet, nyet, nyet!

If you want to try train-hopping and Moscow is too far, please do come visit here in NY, subway central! I live just off the 1 line.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

wooo-ooo-hoooooooo....if you want a partner, muzzer loves trains.

kisses
gussie

6:50 PM  
Blogger Princess Patches said...

You will make a great train dog, Wally! But if you see any poly-ticians, bite them in the butt!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

1:21 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

You and I should run away to Russia, ride the rails, drink the vodka, eat the holopchi. We would get fat and see the world ... well, Moscow. Do you think they have any cows there? We could maybe eat the beef too.

xo
SB

P.S. My verification word is "unhot," which is not meant to reference you or me or anyone we know, because we know we are uberhot.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Emily and Ike said...

Dude, I don't think you will find any ham hocks or turkey necks on the train. You're best off staying home with your pack of lesser dogs.
Ike

12:36 AM  
Blogger Moco said...

It is so true that you are a leader. Get to ridin' those rails. This land is your land, this land is my land. Be sure and mark the fence posts of the humans willing to interact and feed.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home