Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Are you being served?

The NYT has a good story about service animals in this week's Sunday magazine. It's partially about the difficulty presented by non-dog service animals and the use of service animals for non-task oriented duties (like for those with mental rather than physical illness). We heard the journalist who wrote the story on the NPR this weekend (we sound like latte-sipping liberals, eh? SOY latte) and she was talking about Panda, the service horse shown above. He's awesome and does some really amazing things, like his owner can hear changes in terrain from the hooves. And he's housebroken! I would like to trade Oscar for him but the ma ape says that if there is controversy over what naked apes can use service animals it is unlikely that I can have a service pet, especially since I just want to ride him around and be taller than the other dogs and my ma ape says that being vertically challenged does not qualify one for a service animal or else she could have one.

It's a really interesting story and it is pretty remarkable what the animals do for you apes, especially the story of the man with bipolar disorder who has a parrot who helps him regulate his mood.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Nah....my mom does NPR during the morning and then evening drivetime...and she khan't stand soy latte but she does tend to 'l'ean even more 'l'eft than 'l'iberal!

Tank woo fur sharing the story!

Be khareful out there tonight and tomorrow!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

7:01 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

Moose is my therapy dog but I can't get anyone to recognize him a a service dog! Could be all the wagging and pulling and drooling...
Anywho Wally- I saw this last night on the Daily show and think you must post it on your barking for Barack blog! http://blog.indecision2008.com/2009/01/06/the-daily-show-anderson-cooper-holds-first-dog-debate/

7:15 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

Golly Wally...where's the petition to get you a service horsie? I'll sign it..many times! Do you think you could train Oscar so you could ride on his back? You might need a helmet & a bullet proof vest..but you'd still be taller...

Me, I like you any way I can get you...

Love & Licks,
Randi

7:30 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

I hope muzzer does not see this post. She always wanted a PONY!


gus

7:50 PM  
Blogger Dexter said...

Hey, we listen to NPR too! I heard about that service horse. Pretty cool. I think you should most certainly trade in Oscar for one.

Slobbers,
Mango

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jacks, Narra, Tuchuck, and Rousseau said...

Can we get "playmate" to qualify as a service role? We wouldn't mind wearing vests, if that's what it takes. Then we could fly on an airplane!

JNTR

10:22 PM  
Blogger i said...

A service horse? That's amazing! Thanks for sharing this story.

A belated thank you for your lovely card.

Happy New Year!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Wally
I'm pwetty suwe Mommi would be in the loony bin wifout me..that makes me a sewvice aminal too wight?
smoochie kisses
ASTA

12:41 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Wally!

I will be your Panda, if you want me too. Panda and I are about the same height, and I wouldn't mind having a Corgador on board. I could even get a little yellow sign to post on my tail that says "Corgador on board"!

Just remember. You are your ma ape's service pup!

Goober love & smooches,
Stanley

3:30 AM  
Blogger Moco said...

Isn't it amazing what animals are able to do? It would be an advance for the apes if they were able to recognize our abilities.
Cloning will never to equal to the original, especially in your case.
What is with the preppy sheppys? They can really stretch. Are they super heroes?

3:36 AM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Wally, I would be happy to be your service horse, although I wouldn't be all that thrilled to have you on my back. But if you floated up with a helium balloon, I would totally hold the string and I wouldn't let go, even if I found a sandwich in a snow bank.

xo
SB

10:14 AM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

very cool. We miss our ponies. And the horse poop salad bar that goes with them.

wags from the whippets

10:20 AM  
Blogger Simba and Jazzi said...

Mummy says she wouldn't want to see the size of the dodo bag lol.

Simba x

11:02 AM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Wally, You're ape is so right. I would so totally let go of that string to eat the sandwich. Maybe Oscar would have your back and grab the string, although those hiccups might make it hard for him to hold on. Better get Ethel in there as a backup.

xo
SB

2:30 PM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

omdog, the image of you riding on a pony is enough to send us into fits of laughter. seriously, where do you come up with this stuff wally dude?!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home