Saturday, May 12, 2007

In the Doghouse

Me and my sissy got in trouble today. Like, LOTS of trouble. My ma ape was apoplectic. I don't even know what the word means but it sounds like someone's head is about to pop and I think my ma ape's almost did.

Here's what happened. We went to the field by our house where we regularly go to play. It's a big field next to a big fenced in university-owned forest. Some of the underbrush spills into the field but we usually don't care much about it. My sissy chases her stupid tennis balls and I play The Great Explorer. I was minding my business and my sissy was minding her tennis ball business when suddenly she looked at something in the underbrush and bolted into it. My apes didn't think much of it--they yelled at her--but usually it's just a rabbit or a squirrel or a bird that gets away quickly and sissy quickly gets back to fetching. But then they heard something in the underbrush. And I started running. My ma ape started to take a picture because I'm funny when I run. Then POP out of the underbrush.




Bambi! As you can see, she pulled away from me quickly and my sissy was still sniffing in the brush.


And the deer headed straight for the back corner of the fence where there's a hole. My ma ape put down the camera and hightailed it for us. Seemed like the deer would just leap over the fence (not that tall) or zip through the hole--which it looked like the deer was purposely heading for. NO! Stupid Bambi threw herself against the fence and then ran RIGHT AT MY SISSY.


Something happened in the brush. Yup. There was blood. Not a lot. But blood. The deer eventually got away after what seemed like (my ma ape says) a million years and they caught my sissy who was CRAZY for Bambi. The deer ran off and our apes were MAD at us for not leaving it alone when they first told us too. Sigh. If only my ma ape knew this was our plan to give her a completely unique mama's day gift--a DEER! Sheesh. Some people are so ungrateful.

So we went home--apes FUMING and us PANTING, still WIRED. The apes called the wildlife people to check on the deer but they couldn't find it so it must have been ok enough to run off.

WE had to take BATHS! What horrible punishment. Here's my sissy after hers. She had a small owie on her foot but no tender spots or blood. Look--she still looks crazy!


Here I am. Still EXCITED about the day. No owies on me, no tender spots. The apes don't think we got kicked or anything and we're running around like nothing happened. Except the most awesome thing EVER for a dog! Better even than when we caught the woodchuck!


My ma ape was SO MAD she said we had to give away our venison snacks to some of our doggy friends as penance for what we did to the deer. She feels guilty. Us, not so much!

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Sophie Brador said...

Holy Bambi Batman!

That looks just crazy. Whose blood was it? Do you think Ethel actually bit the deer? I hope not. But I hope it wasn't Ethel's blood either. Maybe it was icky mouse blood, from an icky mouse that got trampled. I'm so jealous.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Wow! Lots of excitement in your neighborhood today!
Such a bummer that your mom doesn't get venison stew for mother's day! I'm sure you're a good cook in the kitchen Wally!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

6:35 PM  
Blogger wally said...

Sophie--Unfortunately it was deer blood. Neither of us got hurt. The deer definitely did. She was throwing herself against the fence HARD but my sissy also had her pinned at one point. I got blood on my muzzle (not mine). It made my ma ape upset even though, as Maggie says, it would have been wonderful venison stew!

wally.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ethel looks slightly crazed. I hope she calms down. Deer are not the brightest bulbs on the tree and are prone to flinging themselves at objects in a panic.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Ferndoggle said...

OMG...those pictures are amazing! And my absolute worst nightmare. Penny is lightning quick & could catch up to a deer no doubt. I fear those powerful legs & have heard horror stories of deer kicking a hole through a dog. Thank goodness Sissy is OK!! I feel bad about the deer too, but am SO glad Ethel & Wally are OK.

Wally is too cute running after the deer. Just like Sherman...as fast as his little legs can carry him. Which isn't very fast.

Ferndoggle

7:09 PM  
Blogger Suki & Joey said...

I am soooo jealous of you guys right now. That sounds awesome! I bet I could catch a deer...I'm pretty fast for a pug! ;)

I'm glad you guys didn't get hurt, though.
Puggy kisses
Suki

8:24 PM  
Blogger Joe Stains said...

omddog you guys are AWESOME dont feel guilty!! survival of the fittest!!!!!! so exciting!!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Ruby Bleu said...

OMDog...so happy you guys are ok. That sounds kinda scarey. Sissy was just protecting her tennis balls...I'm sure that is why she bit Bambi.

Anyhowl...you both should be extra nice to your ma ape on mother's day...you probably really scared her.

Lots of Licks, Ruby

9:28 PM  
Blogger Lorenza said...

Poor deer. I'm glad to hear that you are ok!
I like baths!
Nice weekend.
Besos
Lorenza

10:15 PM  
Blogger Liberty Doo Dah said...

I think I'd be a bit more like Ethel!
What I would give to chase a deer! WOW! How exciting!
AireHUBBA!
Liberty

12:27 AM  
Blogger MJ's doghouse said...

WOW you guys were so lucky..every time my ma and pa even have a notion of a different kind of animal they put my stupid leash on...man..i would love to chase bambi around...although I am not too sure what I would do if i caught him...good for you having such a good time though

1:03 AM  
Blogger Emily and Ike said...

OMG!
That is the coolest story I've ever read and I even read it to my dad and he laughed and laughed and this one time last summer, when I first got adopted, we went to a park and I saw a deer but I was on a leash so I couldn't catch it.
Ike

9:28 AM  
Blogger Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

How weird, I saw a deer too today! It came & went to quick though...

Licks
Oscar x

9:35 AM  
Blogger Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

Bamburgers! Beats tofurkey anythime.

Bussie Kissies
Buster

4:34 PM  
Blogger Billy (YES Casanova!!!) said...

Oh my gosh what a day and what an adventure. Who would have thought a deer! I'm so happy no one was seriously injured because you never know, when they are scared they can kick.

Glad all ended well but I can understand why your hoomans might have been a tad bit wired!!!

BIG hugs from Billy Boo:)

5:26 PM  
Blogger The Brat Pack said...

You guys have THE best adventures!!! All we have here are stupid squirrels and sometimes an armadillo. Woo freakin hoo.

Great pics, we're just impressed your Mom was able to take them in the madness. Glad everyone is ok though!!

The Brat Pack

9:17 PM  
Blogger Luckie Girl said...

Hey Wally,
Was that a COOL adventure or what? Chasing a deer and all that blood!! :) Made me just excited just reading about your adventure. Sissy looks very erm..excited like she's ready to have another go again!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Maximillian the Valliant said...

Oh man, you have all the fun! You know what I did for Mother's Day? Laugh at Wookie who rolled in wet paint.

Boy Ethel's wild picture sure is HOT!!

Maxey the wild lover

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You guys are like super hunter dogs!! (Although mom would yell at me if I did that too)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Peanut said...

I wish I could have been there with you. The two of us would have caught that deer.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Kerrio said...

Ok - I am seriously impressed. I've never managed to get the camera out when my lot have flushed a deer (or 5...).

8:04 AM  
Blogger Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

we have lots of silly deer here round whre I walk Wally, but I have never managed to catch one!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

I would have chased Bambi too! What an exciting day. Too bad the humans don't understand...J x

2:26 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

That is awesome! We need to come over and help you hunt for it again!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Southbaygirl said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG........you chased a DEER!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG! I would have put down my ball too to chase a deer! How lucky!!

Woof

Velcro

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home